Thursday, November 13, 2008

How much fun can you fit in a shoebox?

I love packing a shoebox for Operation Christmas Child. I have been doing it every year since I can remember. This year I packed one for a 10-14 year old girl, usually I pack one for a 2-4 year old girl. My sister Kelly and I decide to switch it up this year and trade age ranges because she usually packs one for a 10-14. I put things that I thought I would like in the box, such as, an adorable little stuffed zebra, a slinky, hair-clips and ponytail holders, striped notebook with matching pencils, and a cute short-sleeved shirt. I always try to color code my box. This year I did a pink box, my washcloth, hairbrush, shirt, Slinky, and fun polka dotted socks were all varying shades of pink.

Isn't it amazing to think that the simple act of packing a shoebox full of things can grant a child so much happines? Also, they get a chance to hear about Jesus. I definitly think it is worth a little time and money if the child comes to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I think what amazes me the most is that those little boxes are probably the only Christmas gift those children will receive. Can you imagine? We are so blessed to live in a land of plenty, with family who takes care of us.

Maybe one year (this year?) our families should adopt a family from a tree at the mall. Wouldn't it be fun to have everybody give something up for a family who would otherwise have nothing? And with a family as large as ours, the recipients would surely have a blessed Christmas.

Food for thought :) Love ya!

Clare said...

I was worried that I wouldn't get to do a box this year because I was traveling. But we packed one this week. I usually do an older girl, too but because Josie is old enough to help she picked out things for someone her age. It amazes me the impact that a shoebox can have. It is probably one of my most favorite Christmas traditions.

Lisa said...

We have been packing shoeboxes for all of your life, Lisa Dawn. No wonder you think of it as a "tradition". What a wonderful wasy to celebrate the true meaning of Christmas. Keep up the good work when you "grow up" and move away. You will be so blessed for knowing that to give is better than to receive. I love your sweet, giving spirit. MOM

Lisa said...

In the comment above the word wasy should read way,

Grace said...

oh yeah, Lisa, this is a nice idea. I will start looking around on what I can do, too. :)